Dental Care for Infants and Children
When should dental care begin?
Most pediatric dentists will agree that regular dental care should begin by 1 year of age, with a dental check-up at least twice each year for most children. Some children may need check-ups more often.
This dental checklist for infants and toddlers is from the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD):
Birth to 6 months old
- Clean your baby’s mouth with water and a cloth or gauze or use a soft infant toothbrush after feedings and at bedtime.
- Consult your child’s healthcare provider about the use of fluoride supplements, if you live in an area without fluoridated water.
- Also ask about fluoride varnish that can be applied to the teeth.
- Establish regular feeding habits (bottle feeding and breastfeeding).
6 to 12 months old
- During this time, the first tooth should appear. Consult the pediatric dentist for an exam as soon as the first tooth comes in, but no later than your child’s first birthday.
- Brush teeth after each feeding and at bedtime with a small, soft-bristled brush. Use a very small amount of fluoride toothpaste, about the size of a grain of rice.
- As your child begins to walk, stay alert of possible dental or facial injuries.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastmilk for at least 6 months. The AAPD recommends breastfeeding for at least 1 year. At about 1 year, continue to breastfeed or begin weaning as you and your baby are ready. But also start giving your baby whole milk. The fat in whole milk is needed for brain development.
1 to 3 years old
- Follow the schedule of dental exams and cleanings, as recommended by your child’s pediatric dentist. Generally, dental exams and cleanings are recommended every 6 months for children and adults.
- At about age 3, as your child learns to rinse and spit, brushing with a pea-sized portion of fluoridated toothpaste is best.
There’s a Horizon of Smiles Ahead
LET’S STAY IN TOUCH
Call: (858) 215-2485
Text: (858) 282-0085
Fax: (858) 905 3385
13350 Camino Del Sur
San Diego, CA 92129
MON: 10:00am – 6:00pm
TUES: 10:00am – 6:00pm
THURS: 8:00am – 4:00pm
FRI: 8:00am – 4:00pm